Today I’d like to give you some tips on how to embrace and rock your own style because regardless of who you are, I know your style is amazing and no one can ever be you as well as you can. From Audrey Hepburn to Marylin Monroe there have been many style icons that have gone before us and there will many others that will follow but I want to talk about you and your personal style.
When I was growing up and into my late 20s, I experimented with lots of different styles from my hair to the way I dressed and even how I decorated my space. Now that I’m in my 30s well, let’s just say mama knows what she likes. Sure, I can appreciate many different styles but I’m always drawn back to my faves.
Knowing your style is important because it helps you through the process of knowing who you are and what you like. Defining your style will make you comfortable in your own skin. Wouldn’t you agree how freeing it is to be unapologetically you? Listed below are my top 6 tips for embracing your style.
- Pay attention to what you’re drawn to. For example, when you walk into a store and see something that catches your eye go to it. Also, Pinterest is a great tool for honing in on your style.
- Ask yourself why you like. Is it the details or the color? Is it the pattern or shape? Chances are you’ll notice that your preferences will repeat themselves many times over helping you realize what you truly love versus what’s nice or just okay.
- How does it make you feel? Hint: it should make you feel crazy good. Remember your style is all about YOU.
- Try it out. Sometimes people hesitate because it’s not their “usual” taste but what if your taste or wants are changing? At least try it out. Whether you keep it or ditch it it’s your call!
- Ignore negative feedback. Sometimes well-intentioned friends may say things like “It just doesn’t look like something you’d (fill in the blank). Or they’ll say it’s not a good color for you etc. Take those opinions with a grain of salt because what really matters is what you like.
- OWN IT! Whatever “it” is wear it or use it with confidence. Be proud of who you are and the things that make you feel good about yourself because when you have confidence and a smile people can’t help but notice.
I hope my tips empower you to be yourself. Put those shoulders back, lift up your head, swing those hips and smile because you are awesome!
I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made: Marvelous are your works…Psalm 139:14